Report of the sub-committee on mental and mental deficiency hospitals in the London area Public Deposited

Author
Place of publication
  • London
Publisher
  • King Edward's Hospital Fund for London
Publication date
  • 1955
Pages
  • 25
Abstract
  • In the first half-century of its work, the King's Fund was concerned with the support, benefit and extension of the voluntary hospitals of London, and therefore had little or no contact with mental and mental deficiency hospitals. When the National Health Service Act was implemented in 1948, the need for the Fund's maintenance grants to voluntary hospitals ceased, as did the distinction between the voluntary hospitals and those formerly administered by the local authorities, including mental hospitals. After a period of waiting to see in what ways the Fund might best serve the hospitals, it became clear that there was still room and need for voluntary help to provide many things that the rigidly limited Exchequer funds could not be stretched to cover. In 1949 the Fund began its first visit to mental hospitals, and gave its first grant. The hospitals coming within the purview of the King's Fund are those situated within the Metropolitan Police district, and also those outside it that take a substantial number of their patients from London.
Note
  • Pagination: 25p.
Subject
Resource type
Rights statement
Library catalogue link
License
Last modified

Files